Each month I will put one essential oil under the spotlight to understand its amazing properties, history and useful applications suitable for our busy lifestyles.
April’s Essential Oil of The Month goes to Melaleuca, commonly known as tea tree oil.
For everything green-cleaning related, my go-to essential oils is Melaleuca and this Spring my cleaning game was on!
Determined to be a better (and more natural) homemaker, I tried various ways of making cleaning sprays and floor detergents with different bases (like a mixture of soap nut concentrate and vinegar; this time adding tea tree oil for its refreshing scent and more importantly its effective purifying properties.
Tea Tree Oil Fact:
Melaleuca essential oil has over 92 different compounds making the application possibilities limitless!
History of Tea Tree Oil
The Melaleuca tree leaves have been used by the Aboriginal people in Australia for centuries! They would crush the leaves and apply directly to the skin for a cooling effect. In fact, Melaleuca (tea tree) is mostly known for its purifying properties and used to clean and purify the skin and nails. It is also often used on occasional skin irritations for its soothing effect.
Growing up as a teenager it was the go-to ingredient for all things related to face washes to combat the terrible period of teenage acne breakouts.
Aromatic Description & Source
Melaleuca is herbaceous, green, and leathery. The oil is collected through steam distillation from the leaf part of the Melaleuca plant sourced in Australia.
How to use Melaleuca (tea tree oil):
There are many ways to use tea tree in your daily routine, here are some applications that I have adopted from time to time. It’s important that you experiment and explore what you like best and for what objective.
- Aromatically: Purify the air: diffuse 3 to 4 drops in a diffuser to purify and freshen the air from any environmental threats
- Internally: Boost your immune system: Add 1 drop to water or citrus drinks to support healthy immune system function*
- Topically: Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving. Always test the product on a small skin patch before using it on larger areas of your skin.
- For Cleaning: Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and dash of soap nut concentrate and white vinegar. Spray on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
When you sign up as a doTERRA Wholesale customer you can benefit from
– 25% discounts on each product
– Create a monthly wellness box (aka Loyalty Rewards Program) and get access to special offers & FREE Products and Points that you can use in exchange for products.
– Get access to educational materials and training and classes to help you use your essential oils safely and effectively.
– Join our Facebook community to ask questions and learn from others.
– Receive a wellness consult to help you identify your wellness goals and find natural solutions to help you conquer and live empowered.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Have you ever wondered what’s in your cleaning products and detergents?